Why learn French?
One good reason to learn French is because it is a giant among international languages.
- There are over 120 million people who speak French fluently, either as a native or adopted language and who use it on a regular basis.
- It is the 11th most common first language in the world, with 77 million first language speakers and another 51 million second language speakers and is, after English, the second most commonly taught second language in the world.
- There are many French-speaking-countries – French is the major or an official language in over 30 countries, second only to English.
- French, with English, is the only language spoken as a native language on 5 continents and the only language taught in every country in the world.
Key Stage 3 French
French at Sheffield Girls' is taught in a lively and engaging way and we are sure you will enjoy learning the language with us. Some girls come into the school having learned French in their Junior Schools, but if you haven’t done any French before, don’t worry: our activities cater for all levels of experience.
We have a link with a school in Brittany and correspondence with French school children is an integral part of our studies.
French GCSE (Edexcel IGCSE)
We follow the Edexcel Certificate, which is a linear course, finishing with final examinations. The topics are varied and we spend the entire course building structures little by little so that, by the end of Year 11, girls are able to communicate spontaneously in French. This equips them to spend time in France but in particular it prepares them thoroughly for A-level study.
- We offer trips to France at all key stages. In Key Stage 3, we run a 3-day trip for Year 8 girls to St Omer in Northern France. In Key Stages 4 and 5, we offer 5 days in Montpellier, staying with host families and attending language classes in the mornings.
- We can help girls to arrange work experience in France to accompany their Sixth Form studies.
- The use of film is becoming increasingly prominent in our curriculum and we study films in every year group. This year we are running a Key Stage 3 French Film Club and also offering a Key Stage 4 and 5 French DVD lending library.
- Our foreign language assistant helps to run clinics to support girls at all stages of their learning.
- All Year 7 girls enter a national foreign language Spelling Bee Competition and we have had national finalists every year so far.