What will I be studying?
The Mathematics in Context course is divided into four main topic strands:
Applications of statistics
Sequences and Growth
The content is predominantly based on GCSE content, with approximately 20% being drawn from above and beyond GCSE level.
What does this subject involve?
You will strengthen your understanding of many key GCSE Mathematics topics, while learning a number of new topics and methods. Crucially, you will learn to apply your mathematical knowledge to a wide array of contexts, including unfamiliar ones, making your existing skills much more applicable in the real world.
This is a one year course, examined at the end of Year 12. It is a level 3 qualification, equivalent to an AS level.
Why should I choose Maths in Context?
- To support your study of other A-level courses with signi cant mathematical content (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Geography and many more)
- To prepare you for the mathematics requirements of a number of higher education courses
- To develop your understanding of, and ability to apply, mathematics
- To equip you to apply for employment or higher apprenticeships in a wide range of industry sectors, professional training or university
- To develop your analytical reasoning skills and become more con dent in using mathematics in your everyday life