Skip to content

What is a legacy?

While some in our school community find themselves able to support the school in their lifetime, others have chosen to make a lasting commitment by remembering Sheffield Girls’ in their will.

Whatever the amount, you can be sure that your generosity will make a real difference and transform lives. 

Minerva Circle

The Minerva Circle is for all those who have indicated they would like to leave a legacy to Sheffield Girls’. New members are always welcome.

Should you join, you will be invited to special school events throughout the year. We will also keep you informed of school news and development, providing the opportunity to discover Sheffield Girls’ as it is today and truly be involved in the life of the school.

If you would like to find out more about giving a gift in your Will and the Minerva Circle, please contact – in absolute confidence – Rosslyn Owen, Head of External Relations at Sheffield Girls’. Her email is r.owen@she.gdst.net or she can reached on 0114 3587624.

“By leaving a legacy you ensure that we are able to continue to offer life-changing education for generations to come. Thank you” - Nina Gunson, Head.

We are incredibly grateful to those in our community who have chosen to leave a legacy.

Eileen Stamper was a beloved former teacher of Latin and Greek from 1950 to 1962, and continued to be active in the school community into her 90s.

Eileen was a regular attendee at the school’s birthday celebrations in March each year and always enjoyed meeting pupils and talking to them about how school was when she taught here and comparing it to their experiences. 

Eileen said, “One wishes that every able girl should be given the opportunity to develop her gifts in the rich and stimulating environment of Sheffield High School.”

We are honoured that Eileen chose to speak about her decision to leave a gift in her Will, which supported two Sixth Form students with bursaries.

If you would like to find out more about giving a gift in your Will and the Minerva Circle, please contact – in absolute confidence – Rosslyn Owen, Head of External Relations at Sheffield Girls’. Her email is r.owen@she.gdst.net or she can reached on 0114 3587624.

Legacy FAQs

Where will my money go?

This is your choice and specific requests can be included in your Will. 

An unrestricted gift gives us the greatest flexibility to direct your gift towards our educational priorities at the time, but we know that you may wish to support a particular area. Expressing specific requests as wishes will ensure that we can still receive your gift in the future and use it as you intended.

What type of gift can I leave?

You can leave a residuary (share of estate), pecuniary (set sum), or a particular item (stocks and shares or particular items of value).

How much should I leave?

Every gift makes a difference no matter what the size. While you should first think about your personal circumstances and providing for those you care for, a residuary gift is a great way to ensure that whatever happens in the economy your generous intentions will not be affected.

What do I need to include in my will to leave a gift for Sheffield Girls'?

You should include our name, the GDST’s name and charity number (306983), the GDST’s registered address (10 Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5DH) and if you would like the gift to benefit a particular area (such as bursaries).

Is this gift exempt from inheritance tax?

All legacies are exempt from inheritance tax and if you leave over 10% of your estate to charity it can reduce the level of inheritance tax you pay overall. We recommend that you consult your solicitor to draft a tax efficient Will.

I have already made my Will, what can I do?

If you already have a Will, in most cases you can make a simple addition or amendment with a Codicil. This supplement overwrites existing instructions without the need to revoke or rewrite the whole document. We always recommend that you seek the advice of a solicitor and do not write on, amend or attach any form to your current Will yourself, as your Will could become invalid.

Do I have to let you know about my intentions?

It is entirely up to you if you wish to let us know about your intentions. You do not have to inform us or let us know how much you are intending to give. If you would like to share this with us, we recognise that this is a very meaningful commitment from you. Letting us know your intentions gives us the opportunity to thank you, include you as a member of the Minerva Circle and keep you updated on our work and the school.

Can I change my mind?

Of course and you should not feel obliged to let us know.

See us in action